Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Cool

I have to go to the Statehouse tomorrow to meet with legislators. What the heck am I going to talk about? This reminds me of a story from my freshman year of undergrad. I was 17 years old and decided to declare Biochemistry as my major. I was then instructed to meet with a faculty member within the department who would serve as my advisor during my undergrad career. I went to his office and it was all downhill from there. He had more books and binders (with course numbers like C700, C825) than I had ever seen or will see in my life. He began talking about biology, chemistry, blah, blah, blah. All I could think about was waffles and coke for breakfast. I nodded politely and daydreamed for a while. As the meeting drew to a close we walked down the halls of the chemistry building. We stopped at a display on the wall where he began talking about this protein strain that he developed and how he presented it at a symposium in Chicago. After a few minutes of rambling he turned to me anticipating a well thought out question or remark on this matter. I stood there completely dumbfounded with a perplexed look on my face. I opened my mouth and all that came out was the word 'Cool'. He shook my hand, I left the building, walked to the academic affairs office and promptly changed my major to Biology. The point of the story is that I'm an idiot and if put in a situation I know nothing about (biochem, state legislation) I will resort to fragmented sentences and high school diction. Sweet law! I'm totally amped about being here Senator! That speech you gave was of the chains!

No comments: