Sunday, December 18, 2005

360....Below Zero

One might wonder what a guy that just finished school for the semester did on a Saturday night. Did he party with his friends? Did he eat a nice dinner? Did he stay home and relax? No. Although I had the chance to take part in all of the previously mentioned activities, I chose to do something absolutely ridiculous. I somehow decided to wait in line with a girl who is not my girlfriend, to buy a gift that was not for me, for a holiday that I don't even celebrate! I forgot to mention that I waited outside Best Buy in the freezing cold from 12:30 am until 7:30am for an Xbox 360. It was insanely cold, 11 degrees Farenheit to be exact with 7 mph wind from the NW. I don't know about northwest but I can tell you that it was coming from under my chin and managed to blow in my face no matter what direction I turned my head. Anyway, we began posting up outside the store after watching King Kong. I had on two pairs of sweats, two pairs of socks, a thermal, sweatshirt, jacket, scarf, gloves, stocking cap, sleeping bag, down blanket and wool blanket. I was actually pretty warm except my feet didn't thaw out until about 10 o'clock this morning. When we arrived, we were the 35th people in line. The guy in front of us worked for Best Buy and was waiting to get one for his nephew. He informed us that the store only had 34 Xbox units to sell and that vouchers would be distributed at 7 in the morning. We decided to wait anyway because they were expecting a truck at 8 o'clock that contained 30 additional game systems. At about 2 in the morning a guy drove buy selling a premium system (he got it from work, Target) for 550 dollars. The guy in front of us decided to buy it from him. We were pretty excited because this meant that we were now number 34. At around 4 in the morining about 30 more people started lining up behing us. By 6:30 in the morning there were about 100 people. At 7:00 the manager came out and had us line up single file and my worst fear came true. There were people at the front of the line that were waiting as 'support' for family and friends who took a voucher after saying that they didn't want one. I think a few people also cut in line at some point during the clean up in the morning. There was no way to truly police the line. So, we didn't get voucher and neither did the two mothers and the couple in front of us. Some girl from the front of the line sold her voucher to one of the mothers in front of us for an undisclosed amount. To make a short story long, we needed there to be three more vouchers in order for us to have been able to get the Xbox. We were both cold and pissed off, but what can you do. Well, I better get a little shut eye and do a little cleaning.

6 comments:

baj said...

salaam and welcome to blogistan! man, you and gunnar (LB's man) would get along well. he was royally pissed that best buy listed the new xbox in their flyer b/c he was planning on buying two - one for himself and one for resale. ah me.

ps - i can't relate to all this gym talk and whatnot, but i can relate to gaining major poundage. ;)

Omar said...

i can't believe that i waited in line. at least you have a great excuse for your weight gain, you are 'with child'. i guess i could tell people that i am carrying a food baby.

Anonymous said...

i was just thinking that gunnar would love reading this too! i need to send him the link. he already has a new xbox but wanted to get more to sell and make xmas money (which i support if it means more pressies for me!) hehe!

lil baji

Anonymous said...

Well, that's not exactly the story. I was mad because the newspaper had an article about how they would have them at Best Buy and exactly how many... information that I was hoping others wouldn't find out. It wouldn't have mattered- there were people lined up there at 9PM the night before. Oh well, I already managed to procure one somehow a few weeks ago.

Omar said...

at least you have one. i was the sorry sap who waited all night and then got screwed. there is always ebay, they are selling the core for 6 hundo and the premium for 700. what am i talking about, i don't even want one!

Omar said...

Oh yeah, and don't ask anybody in best buy about the 360 or any other limited item unless you are prepared to get sassed at and have a 16 year old roll their eyes at you.